Wednesday 1 January 2014

Letterbox Love (#81)

As always, Letterbox Love is a weekly feature that I'm hosting on the blog and basically, the idea came out of a discussion with other UK book bloggers about the need to do a weekly meme with more of a British feel to it. Therefore, Letterbox Love was born and the logo was lovingly designed by Dark Readers. Letterbox Love is a way for us to share the books that come through our letterbox, galleys and e books (through our electronic letterbox) and any other bookish goodies that we want to tell you about. Letterbox Love is intended to showcase upcoming books and build up some excitement for them as well as let you know what is available out there. It is not about competing with other bloggers or boasting of any kind (c'mon, we're British and we don't do drama!)

So, I'm working on the principle of better late than never with this blog post and what a lovely way to kick off the new year!  I'm still working on what my actual New Year's resolutions will be but rest assured there will be a reading/blog related one in there somewhere, that's for sure!  Now, onto the books...

Review Books


Red Rising by Pierce Brown
This is a debut novel and a futuristic one at that.  I requested it from the Amazon Vine Programme because I can't get it out of my head and simply have to read it!

Banished by Liz De Jager
So apparently my blog name was given to the publisher but nothing happened so I requested this from the Amazon Vine Programme instead.  I'm incredibly proud to hold this book in my hands as it's written by a good friend and fellow UK book blogger.  I'm also pretty scared to read and review it for the same reasons but I'm definitely curious and I've been waiting for a long time to read her work!

The Beating of His Wings by Paul Hoffman (Unsolicited)
This is the third book in a series I haven't read so this is one for the library.

Dirty Magic by Jaye Wells (Unsolicited)
Firstly, I love the fact that this is the first book in a new series and not the tenth book of a series I haven't read yet. Secondly, I know the author's name but I've not read any of her books but I just can't get over the fact that it's got werewolves in it and magic agencies.  I'm still a fan of the paranormal genre but it has to be something quite special nowadays or something that has my name written all over it to make me want to read it.  To be honest, I can't see me reading this.


Thank You Publishers!!!


Books Bought

I have not bought any physical books this week and have preferred to spend all my money on digital books.  Damn the kindle sale!



Books Gifted


Hero by Rhonda Byrne
The Magic by Rhonda Byrne
 I'm a huge fan of The Secret by Rhonda Byrne and I wanted these for my collection.  
Thanks mum and dad!

Starry Nights by Daisy Whitney 
I've wanted to read this book for the longest time and I asked Santa for it for Christmas and he kindly delivered. I love the fact that it's set in Paris and has a bit of magic to it.  It reminds me a little of Anna and the French Kiss in that respect and I loved that book.  I also like the fact that this is a standalone book, or at least I believe it is. 

 
UKYABB Secret Santa


I love the fact that my Secret Santa knows me so well and is not only trying to get me organised for 2014 but also wants to help me relax with a meditation CD and inspire my writing through the books...

The Five Minute Writer by Margret Geraghty
Another gift from my UKYABB Secret Santa as they know I'm a writer in training.  I like the idea that this is a book full of exercises to kick start your motivation and inspiration.  Thank you again, Santa!

Forever & Always by Jasinder Wilder
This book came from my UKYABB Secret Santa this Christmas and it's a New Adult book I haven't read.  I have to say that it does sound awesome and I trust this person implicitly as we like the same books so I'm sure I'm going to enjoy this.  Thank you Santa!


EBooks

The Fifth Wave by Rick Yancey (Bought)
I already have a hardback and a paperback of this book and I still haven't read it but when I saw it on sale for kindle, I bought it as sometimes I prefer to read this way.  

Level 2 by Lenore Appelhans (Bought)
I already have a paperback of this and have been meaning to read it for the longest time - again, it was in the kindle sale and often I prefer to read this way so I snapped it up as I cannot resist a bargain!

Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (Bought)
Magic Study by Maria V. Snyder (Bought)
Fire Study by Maria V. Snyder (Bought)
Storm Glass by Maria V. Snyder (Bought)
Sea Glass by Maria V. Snyder (Bought)
Spy Glass by Maria V. Snyder (Bought)

I have some but not all of this books in paperback and they came on sale over the Christmas period so I snapped them up. 

Divergent by Veronica Roth (Bought)
I've already read and reviewed this but just in case I want to re-read it, I thought I'd snap up the digital version with the new cover while it was on sale. 


Willing Captive by Belle Aurora (Bought)
I'm curious about this book and it's had some fantastic reviews.  I'm interested to know what a willing captive is and how that situation came to be.  

The Runaway Princess by Hester Browne (Bought)
This is a contemporary fairy tale of sorts and any story involving a prince immediately has me interested. 

Forged by Jennifer Rush (Bought)
I loved Altered when it was published this time last year in the US and this is the prequel to the series so of course I had to get it.  It's only available as an ebook though otherwise I would have bought a hard copy for my collection.
 
Enslaved by the Ocean by Bella Jewel (Bought)
A pirate romance story? I'm so there just for the word pirate which screams refreshing to me. 

Fighting Redemption by Kate McCarthy (Bought)
I've heard so many good things about this book that I couldn't wait any longer and I bought it.   I am slightly scared though as this is about a solider fighting in Afghanistan, and the love he left behind.  I've been warned that this book is likely to rip my heart out which makes me nervous.  I'm going to have to find the right time to read this one I think.

Must Love Otters by Eliza Gordon (Bought)
Apparently this is one for fans of Wallbanger by Alice Clayton (which incidentally, I LOVED).  It's supposed to be laugh out loud funny and a good story so I can't wait to dive into this one.  Plus, it was on sale when I bought it, so bonus!

Conversion by S.C. Stephens (Bought)
I cannot resist a vampire romance.  I don't know why but I just can't and every now and then, I'm in the mood for them. 

Beck by Harper Sloan (Bought)
This is book three in the series and whilst I haven't started them yet, I am sure I am going to love them so I bought this to go with the rest. 

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin (Bought)
I really like Game of Thrones, the television programme but I've never read the book so when I saw this go on sale for 99p, I thought 'why not?!'.

Fracture Me by Tahereh Mafi (Bought)
This is one of my favourite book series and one that is beautifully written.  This is a novella that has been released while we wait for the next book.  

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (Bought)
I have heard so much about this book and how the TV rights have been sold fairly recently.  Apparently it's a classic book and I'm immensely curious.  This was on sale recently and I took the opportunity to buy it for future reading. 

Sempre Redemption by J.M. Darhower (Bought)
I really enjoyed Sempre and so when I saw that the sequel had come down in price recently, I pounced on it. 

I hope you all had a very bookish Christmas and that you've taken advantage of the kindle sales as much as I have.  Seriously though, sometimes I feel like I really need to get my one click finger in check!  Anyway, as always please share your links below and here's to a fantastic New Year :)

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic haul, I can't wait to read Banished, I read the sneaky peak the publisher had online and was hooked straight away. Dirty Magic sounds interesting. I will have to check out some of the books you have got that I don't recognise.

    Take a peek at my haul

    ReplyDelete