Monday 16 December 2013

Letterbox Love #79

As always, Letterbox Love is a weekly feature that I'm hosting on the blog and basically, the idea came out of a discussion with other UK book bloggers about the need to do a weekly meme with more of a British feel to it. Therefore, Letterbox Love was born and the logo was lovingly designed by Dark Readers. Letterbox Love is a way for us to share the books that come through our letterbox, galleys and e books (through our electronic letterbox) and any other bookish goodies that we want to tell you about. Letterbox Love is intended to showcase upcoming books and build up some excitement for them as well as let you know what is available out there. It is not about competing with other bloggers or boasting of any kind (c'mon, we're British and we don't do drama!)

Massive apologies for not posting last week but I worked seven days in a row and generally had a rough week all round (apart from seeing my parents) and I'm just getting over my SECOND cold in three weeks :(   Now, bear in mind that this is a double post so there are lots of books, especially digital books.

Review Books


Vicious by V.E. Schwab
This is the UK paperback version and I'm quite excited to read this.

The Queen of Dreams
This is a beautiful albeit slightly creepy looking fairy tale book that might just be a little young for me although I do love things like Alice in Wonderland and the Chronicles of Narnia.

Reaver by Larissa Ione
I'll never understand why publishers send me the fifth book in a series I haven't read but there you go.  I'll probably donate this to the library. 

Dream Eyes by Jayne Ann Krentz
This is the second book in a series I haven't read *sigh* and another one for the library.



Thank You Publishers!!!


Books Bought


A Beautiful Wedding by Jamie McGuire
I'm a huge fan of Jamie's and her Beautiful Disaster series so it was just a given that I was going to get this for my collection.  I'm only sorry it's not signed like the rest of my hardbacks but then again, what a great excuse to get her to come back to the UK! :)  I've just sent a UK paperback copy to my sister, all wrapped up for Christmas.

Books Won


Doorways to Extra Time
This is an anthology put together by Spencer Hill Press and features a story from Erica Cameron, author of Sing Sweet Nightingale (which I have on pre-order!) As a massive time travel fan, this is the perfect book for me.

Beautiful Disaster, Walking Disaster, A Beautiful Wedding (UK Paperbacks)
I won this in a UK competition and have since sent my sister A Beautiful Wedding for Christmas (which she doesn't know about so shhh, don't tell her!).  I'm either going to keep the other two or give them away :)

EBooks

Mary Berry's Christmas Collection (Bought)
This was on sale and who doesn't love a great Christmas cook book, especially when it's ridiculously well priced!  Now, if I could just get Save With Jamie for the same price, I'd be happy ;)

A Beautiful Wedding by Jamie McGuire (Bought)
The Beautiful Disaster series is one of my favourite series EVER and so of course I had to get this.  Don't ask why I bought both the hardback and the eBook, it's just something I do sometimes!

Hard As It Gets by Laura Kaye (Bought)
Ex army, a guy with tattoo's - yep, I can't resist this one.

Rumor Has It by Elizabeth Grace (Bought)
This New Adult novel has an interesting plot which makes me want to read it.  Not sure about the celebrity thing (I don't know why that aspect always turns me off) but I like the look of the rest of it. 

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell (Bought)
This book has been storming up the charts and is well loved and respected by bloggers who have read it.  I've never read a book by this author but I definitely want to and this is a good start.  It's due to be published in the UK soon but I just couldn't wait for a review copy.

Bitter Sweet Love by Jennifer L. Armentrout (Bought)
This is a prequel novella to Jennifer's new series The Dark Elements about gargoyles.  Interesting.

Holy Frigging Matrimony by Emma Chase (Bought)
I just read Tangled recently and loved it so I had to get this.  It was good but too short and sounded more like the beginning of a sequel!

The Trouble with Goodbye by Sarra Cannon (Bought)
I'm not sure why I bought this but I think it was on sale. I like the idea that she leaves her boyfriend to follow her dreams of going to an ivy league school and things go tits up.  I'm curious enough to read it and find out what happens.

Lover Undercover by Samanthe Beck (Bought)
I do love stories about twins assuming the other's identity (for whatever reason) and there's a hot undercover detective, what's not to like?!

Extinguish by J. M. Darhower (Bought)
Yes, it's another angel book BUT I love the idea of falling for the devil and THAT is the selling point for me.  I have no idea what this says about me *blush*.

Stinger by Mia Sheridan (Bought)
I didn't realise at the time that this is the third book in the series BUT it can be read as a standalone and I was intrigued by the fact that the male character is part of the adult entertainment industry and I guess it's a secret he keeps from the girl he falls for but presumably, he has to come clean eventually.  

Cage by Harper Sloan (Bought)
It's about hot security guys, right? That's all I need to know.

Temporary Bliss by B.J. Harvey (Bought)
I like the idea of a girl who is anti commitment but then meets someone who turns this idea on it's head for her and makes her question her beliefs.  It's nice to see a female in this role for a change.

Nothing Left to Lose by Kirsty Moseley (Bought)

I have to admit that I like the plot idea but when I found out that it was on Wattpad and had 25 million reads before publication, that immediately has me curious.  

Knight's Mistress by C.C. Gibbs (Bought)
This is another billionaire "I always get what I want and I want you" story which was on sale which is the main reason I bought it. 

Jake Undone by Penelope Ward (Bought)

This is a standalone companion novel to Gemini and features a nursing student and a hot, tattooed bad boy.  You can see why I bought it. 

Break in Two by M.J. Summers (Bought)
I love the fact that this is about a woman who leaves her boyfriend (who trades her in for a younger model) and makes a new start, and then falls for a cowboy.  Okay, there's more to it than that but I want to read it. 

Found in You by Laurelin Page (Bought)
This is the sequel to Fixed in You, which I have but haven't read yet. 

Rock the Beat by Michelle A. Valentine (Bought)
I'm so behind with this series but this was on sale so I snapped it up!

Rule by Jay Crownover (Free) 
Oooh, I like the idea of a pre med student who's a bit of a rebel and of course, there's a love story in there. 

Awakening by Serena Grey (Free)
This is not an original story - innocent girl meets dangerous man and they have a relationship but apparently, the writing is good. 

Stranded by J.C. Valentine (Free)
This is a novella and a start to a new series.  I've heard good things and it was free!

That First Kiss by J.C. Valentine (Free)
This is the second book in the new series and features a hot, mercurial writer and his assistant.  They meet as strangers, sparks fly but then they realise they're going to have to work together. Oops.

Dream of You by Kate Perry (Free)
I love the plot of this book but I don't love that it's book five in the series.  As each book is about a different character, I'm guessing you can probably read this as a standalone.

Faster Harder by Colleen Masters (Free)
I love the idea that this story revolves around the formula one racing scene which is a bit refreshing and different from fighters, military etc.  I'm definitely curious.

Inevitable by Angela Graham (Free) 
I love the idea of this story as it features a single father and there's going to be a lot of cute interactions between the four year old kid and the woman who's just moved in next door.  I suspect this is how she'll get to know the REAL guy living there.  Sounds like a cute story, I just hope it has a happy ending.

Back to Creative Writing School by Bridget Whelan (Free)
What can I say other than this was free and so I thought I'd take a look at it. 


The Coconut Oil Guide (How to stay healthy, lose weight and feel good) by R. Johnson (Free)
Paleo Diet by Jane Burton (Free)
Going Paleo (A quickstart guide) by Amelia Simons (Free)
Ultimate Paleolithic Collection by Amelia Simons (Free)
4 Weeks of Fabulous Paleolithic Breakfasts by Amelia Simons (Free)
4 More Weeks of Fabulous Paleolithic Breakfasts by Amelia Simons (Free)
4 Weeks of Fabulous Paleolithic Lunches by Amelia Simons (Free)
4 Weeks of Fabulous Paleolithic Dinners by Amelia Simons (Free)
Paleo Slow Cooker Soups and Stews by Amelia Simons (Free)
Paleo Slow Cooker by Amelia Simons (Free)

I don't know how many of you know but I have an allergy/intolerance to gluten and I want to sort my diet out properly in the new year as I want to eat healthy and lose weight.  I'm interested in the Paleo diet which is basically a caveman style diet and rather than paying a fortune on books, I found these freebies so I can take a look and decide if it's something I want to do. 

Simply Gluten Free and Dairy Free by Grace Cheetham (Netgalley)
Again, I thought it might be good to check this out and see if there are any good recipes there.  It's an American book though which I didn't realise at the time so the measurements might be slightly different but that's okay.

The Pulse by Shoshanna Evers (Netgalley - For Review)
A post apocalyptic NYC is the main setting in this romance/erotic story and I'm definitely curious but I've seen mixed reviews about it which makes me nervous.

Fighting Love by Abby Niles (Netgalley - For Review)
This is the sequel to Extreme Love which DAMN, is a book I still need to read so I'd better get on that!

Song of the Fireflies by J.A. Redmerski (Netgalley - For Review)
I wasn't a massive fan of J's last book but that's okay, because this is a new series.  The best thing about this book is that it's a standalone and that's refreshing! No more waiting around for a sequel.  It does sound interesting and definitely has potential. 

Knock Out by Michele Mannon (Netgalley - For Review)
There seems to be a lot of fighter books about since the runaway success of Real by Katy Evans but I'm not complaining too much.  I think this sounds interesting and I definitely want to read it. 

Ghost Aria by Jeffe Kennedy (Netgalley - For Review)
This is the second part of the Phantom of the Opera style story. 

Eternal Ever After by A.C. James (Netgalley - For Review)
This is a paranormal romance featuring a vampire and I can't resist a vampire story.


So there you have it.  I'm going to try and post again next week and then I will probably fall a little silent over Christmas and New Year.  It depends on where I am and what's going on but we shall see.  As always, I hope you had a great week for books and please share your links below.

1 comment:

  1. What a great fortnight for books! And you don't need to complain about having a second cold, I feel like I barely got rid of mine before getting it back again a week later!

    ReplyDelete