Tuesday 17 September 2013

Come Undone Review

 
On stage he’s dynamite. Off stage he rocks her world.

When red-hot, Goth-metal band, Black Halo, split live on stage, fate throws Daniella Fosbrook into the path of sexy vocalist Xane Geist. Initially, Xane’s only looking for a ride home, but Dani tempts him in a way a thousand other women haven’t. Determined to explore their heady chemistry and avoid hashing things out with the band, Xane whisks Dani off to Monaco for a steamy weekend.

There, Dani tries her best to hang onto her heart and some clothing, while Xane soon loses both. However, Xane isn’t being entirely honest about the reason for the band’s demise. When the truth comes out, can Dani accept the facts, or will everything come undone.


When I picked up Come Undone by Madelynne Ellis, I thought I was in for another bad boy, hot rocker read.  Boy was I wrong.  Come Undone should really be called Come All the Time as if the characters aren’t actually having sex; they’re either thinking about it or talking about it.  Sadly though, what this book had in the trouser department, it severely lacked in the romance department. Don’t get me wrong, I like a bit of spice in my books as much as the next person but when it’s just sex, it becomes monotonous and meaningless, and dressing up the sex in different positions or in different locations really doesn't help.

I think for me, there was one major thing that stopped me from caring about these characters and that’s just how stupid they were.  Xane (bad boy, hot rocker) was super upset about the fact that his “girlfriend” had married his best friend and neither one had thought to tell him.  He was so upset in fact, that it was a major contributing factor to him splitting up the band and taking off.  So what really pisses me off here is the fact that one of Black Halo’s greatest fans who thinks she knows the real Xane enters his life and ends up spending a few days fucking him even though she knows he’s upset over someone else.  Now, if I knew a guy was upset over someone else and you know, it looked like he was in love with them, there is NO WAY IN HELL I would subject myself to being used as a sex toy or a distraction.  I just didn’t feel like Dani had any self respect at all and let Xane lead her down a very devious sexual path, doing things that he liked to do.   Bottom line, Xane used Dani and Dani let herself be used because she is stupid and has no self respect so when Xane turns round after a few days of banging Dani (and a few days after he finds out his “girlfriend” has married his best friend) and says he loves her, guess what? I DON’T BELIEVE HIM.   And Xane is fooling himself if he thinks that Dani can see the real him.

To be honest, in some ways I’m quite surprised that I actually made it to the end of this book as there were times I wanted to put it down.  Perhaps it was because the ending crept up on me and was so abrupt; it didn’t feel like the end at all.

Another thing worth mentioning is the fact that I learned after reading that the author is British but what I saw in the book was a mixture of British and American words/spellings which was really confusing – I thought it might be that the editor was a different nationality to the author. Regardless, these inconsistencies should have been picked up and one can only hope that they will be corrected in the final copy.

Now I know the big question you’re all asking is, will I be reading the sequel?  And I’m sure you’re not overly surprised to hear that the answer is no.  To put it bluntly, I just don’t care about the characters and their deluded ways.  What I will say however, is that if I found a book by the same author and the synopsis grabbed me, I would still give it a go.

I always want to like books and so Come Undone was a huge disappointment for me but at least it was somewhat fresh and different from the normal bad boy, rocker book.  Just not in a good way.

Come Undone was published on 29th August, 2013.  To find out more about Madelynne Ellis and her books, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment