Wednesday 28 August 2013

Bonjour Cherie Review


It's Paris or bust in this New Adult comedy of errors about seeing beyond the surface...

Beth Jenkins is into all things French — especially her French teacher, André LeBlanc. She’s on the fast track to Paris and nothing will stop her, not even the very Australian Zach Mills, whose abs and attitude are a powerful combination. As she endeavours to catch André’s interest, she also stubbornly ignores the growing chemistry with Zach.

But as mishap after mishap delays her dreams, Beth begins to learn that neither Zach nor André are quite what they seem. Will it be too late to win the one man who shows her that Paris is not the only destination worth planning for?

I have a thing for Paris.  I admit it.  Even though I’ve only ever been to Disneyland Paris *glares at boyfriend* ONE DAY, I will get to the heart of Paris and Paris, I hope, will get to the heart of me.  In the mean time however, I am happy to live vicariously through people like Beth Jenkins who admittedly is way more obsessed than I am about all things French.  Girl is on a mission.  Mostly to get to Paris but it doesn’t hurt that her French teacher is hot, and all Beth has to do is make him realise how wonderful they would be together.  All the while, a guy who is actually her own age falls into the story and he can see this potentially disastrous situation unfolding in front of his eyes. Through a comedy of errors, they end up spending quite a bit of time together and there might just be a bit more than concern coming from Zach.  Green eyed monster, anyone?  But will Beth give Zach a chance with Andre still in the picture? Does she even realise what’s going on?  All this and more will be answered in the book!

One of the things I loved about Bonjour Cherie is that it is only 87 pages BUT it is 87 pages of perfection.  I never felt short changed or that the story didn’t reach a satisfying conclusion and the slow build up of romance was just right.  This is a quick but cute read that took me about an hour to finish. 

Another refreshing aspect of the book was the setting.  The title is somewhat misleading as the story takes place in Australia with some French elements added in of course.  I will say that I’m not sure why the story had to be new adult as it could easily work as a Young Adult book – it’s a clean read with no sexual situations in it that I can recall, just good old fashioned romance of the “I don’t really like you but it’s only because I really like you” variety.

If you’re looking for a quick read and a cute, fun story then this is the book for you and just so you know, I would be more than happy to read more from this author, especially if her full length books are as good as this novella. 

Bonjour Cherie is published on 1st September, 2013 in both the US and UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment