Sunday 10 February 2013

Letterbox Love (#40)

As always, Letterbox Love is a weekly feature that I'm hosting on the blog and basically, the idea came out of a discussion with other UK book bloggers about the need to do a weekly meme with more of a British feel to it. Therefore, Letterbox Love was born and the logo was lovingly designed by Dark Readers. Letterbox Love is a way for us to share the books that come through our letterbox, galleys and e books (through our electronic letterbox) and any other bookish goodies that we want to tell you about. Letterbox Love is intended to showcase upcoming books and build up some excitement for them as well as let you know what is available out there. It is not about competing with other bloggers or boasting of any kind (c'mon, we're British and we don't do drama!)

Review Books


Rat Runners by Oisin McGann (Unsolicited)
The synopsis of this has me intrigued and is sounds a lot like a dystopian novel.  I'm not sure of the age range of the intended audience but it sounds a lot like a movie premise. 

Phoenix by Elizabeth Richards (Won)
I really enjoyed Black City (which made me cry) and whilst it didn't end on a cliffhanger as such, it set up the next book quite nicely.  I'm looking forward to finding out what happens next and I'm very grateful to have won an ARC. 

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer
This is the second book in the Lunar Chronicles series (the first book being Cinder).  I actually haven't started this series yet but it definitely intrigues me.  I thought the cover for Cinder was OUTSTANDING. 

Bloodlines, The Golden Lilly and The Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
I LOVED the Vampire Academy series but I've never gotten round to trying out the spin off series.  Her UK publisher very kindly sent me the first three books to read and review.  



Crown of Dreams by Katherine Roberts (Unsolicited)
This is book three in the Pendragon Legacy series and the cover is just as cute as the first two books (Lance of Truth, Sword of Light).  I haven't started reading them yet but hopefully one day I will give them a shot.  

While the Others Sleep by Tom Becker (Unsolicited)
This is a gripping psychological thriller and sounds CREEPY as hell.  For that reason, I'm not entirely sure that this is my kind of book.

Thank You Publishers!!!



Books Bought


The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd
Set in London, 1894 this is a dark, gothic tale that the internets cannot stop talking about as of late but what interests me about the book is the fact that it's the daughter of a madman's story.  I think this is coming out in the UK soon but I got the US hardback. 
Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
I have been WAITING and WAITING for this book.  I'm getting better at being patient for books but boy, I cannot wait to read this one.  It's no secret that I'm in love with Warner and I'm excited to dive back into Juliette, Adam and Warner's world.  


Ebooks

Champagne Toast by Melissa Brown (Bought)
I believe this is a New Adult second-chance-at-love kind of story with nothing but great reviews.  I do like this kind of story but I'm already getting a little tired with the trope.  Regardless, I still want to read this.

Rouge by  Leigh Talbert Moore (Bought)
Described as a steamy page turner with a love triangle, sequins and feathers AND set in New Orleans, I thought this sounded interesting.

In Flight by R.K. Lilley (Bought)
I'd heard about this erotica series and I thought it sounded interesting, especially as one of the main characters is a flight attendant in First Class and the other is a billionaire passenger.  I know what you're thinking (YAWN, right?)  Do we NEED another story about a billionaire control freak?  I tend to agree but I still enjoyed the story.  It was a nice price for an enjoyable read.  I couldn't put it down and immediately downloaded the second book. 

Mile High by R.K. Lilley (Bought)
After enjoying the first book, I immediately downloaded the second only to find a MASSIVE price difference which to be honest, pissed me off.  She got me hooked with the first book and because I had to read the next part, I had to pay nearly three times as much as the first to get it.

Ashes and Ice by Rochelle Maya Callen (Bought)
I like the cover for this book and it sounds very mysterious.  I'm still not entirely sure what it's about and I'm a little scared at a reviewer's comment that it has horror elements to it but I'm going to give it a go.

Up To Me by M. Leighton (Bought)
Following on from Down to You, this is book two in the series.  I'm not sure I was overly kind with the last book and I don't know why I'm doing this to myself again but I decided to give this second book a go. 

Nets and Lies by Katie Ashley (Bought)
I'll be honest and say that I probably wouldn't have picked up this book if it wasn't written by Katie Ashley and because of that fact, I'm willing to give it a go.

Callum & Harper by Fisher Amelie (Bought)
I thought I had this but it turns out I don't, but now I do.  This is a story about two orphans who stick together through thick and thin and don't know they're in love with each other.  Presumably until they do. 

Thomas & January by Fisher Amelie (Free) 
This is book two in the same series as the above.  I presume this features two minor characters that were introduced in the first book.

Writing with a Heavy Heart by Denise Jaden (Free)
This is a non fiction book written by Denise Jaden (author of Losing Faith) about dealing with grief. 

Weather Witch by Shannon Delany (Netgalley) 
I love Shannon's writing and I love both the cover and synopsis for this book.  If I'm honest, I'm slightly put off by the fact that it's being marketed as Steampunk (as I don't think I like that genre) but I'm still going to read it with an open mind and trust the writer!


I think I'm going to try hard not to buy as many ebooks next week and perhaps even for the month, we'll see how THAT goes but wish me luck!  I started reading The Archived but put it down as I wasn't in the mood for it and I don't want to spoil it or ruin my opinion of it.  I'm going to start Unravel Me next as I am desperate for some Warner love.  What are you reading this week?  Hope the Book Gods have been kind to you and please leave your links below.  Happy Reading!

10 comments:

  1. Awesome haul, Lynsey! The Bloodlines series is amazing! Happy reading!

    First Class Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo, I'm definitely curious about the series having read all the Vampire Academy books.

      Delete
  2. Jo's right about he Bloodlines series - it's fantastic! I'm so excited for Scarlet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I haven't read Cinder yet but I never hear anyone say they didn't like the book.

      Delete
  3. I'm very jealous that you have the Madman's daughter!

    My Haul! Letterbox Love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think it sounds really interesting!! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  4. The Madman's Daughter is meant to be very good. Oooh, I've heard good things about Scarlet. I've still yet to pick up Cinder.

    Great haul. Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Livvy, I still have to read Cinder too!

      Delete
  5. Scarlet is one that I'm dying to read, and the Madman's Daughter as well.
    Unravel me! I REALLY want!
    You've got me intrigued about Weather Witch now as well.
    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG go and read Unravel me like NOW. Weather Witch is definitely intriguing and I love Shannon's writing :)

      Delete