Thursday 21 February 2013

Demon at my Door Review


Gothic outcast Natalie Sugarman bartered her soul for her dying mother’s life sixteen years ago to a boy demon that could stop time. Now, days before her twenty-first birthday, the lifelines on her palms are slowly vanishing, and she knows it’s just a matter of time before Satan’s little helper collects.

Natalie's tried numerous times to kill the demon and regain control of her soul’s destiny, but she always falls short. When she decides to try and gain the element of surprise for her next attempt, Natalie seeks answers about his location from a freaky, glowing-eyed fortuneteller. Creeped out by the psychic’s methods, she bolts from the reading and misses the warning that the demon who stole her soul is always closer than she thinks.

After some strange incidents with her new boyfriend, including a hot, levitating sex session, she realizes he’s the grown-up version of her little nightmare and he’s returned to collect on their deal. Natalie must figure out how to win her soul back from the demon before her lifeline completely disappears and she becomes his forever—even if that means making a deal to damn three other souls to take her place.

Michelle A. Valentine is fast becoming one of my favourite authors to watch.  After reading and subsequently loving Rock the Heart, I fell in love with her writing style and so when I found out that she had written a New Adult paranormal romance?  I WAS ALL OVER IT.  Demon at my Door is her third published novel to date and definitely one that’s worth picking up. You may not think you could fall for a demon but trust me; you definitely can, especially if Michelle has anything to do with it ;)  It goes without saying that as this is a New Adult novel, there are mature themes and scenes containing sexual content.  It’s not too heavy but if you prefer clean reads, this is not the book for you.  For everyone else, you’re going to love it. 

Natalie is the protagonist of the story and a girl fast approaching her twenty first birthday.  When she was five years old, she made a deal with a demon to save her mother’s life and he’s coming back to collect. Only, there’s more to this deal than meets the eye.  I mean, he’s never left anyone alive as long as Natalie before.  The question is, why?  And can she get her soul back from him before he takes it?

There’s so much I love about this story – the humour, the drama, the romance, the tension and especially the characters.  Often in stories we swoon for the bad boy turned good but Rick..is different.  He is a good guy gone bad, trying to be good and that melts my heart and my panties right off.  I can’t say too much about the plot for fear of ruining it but he’ll do anything to keep Natalie safe, even from himself.  Be still my beating heart.

I have to say at this point that as with most self published books, there are some editing issues and it would be wrong of me to omit this information. However, if you can look past that, you will find a truly entertaining story and one that you can’t put down.

I do believe there is a real gap in the market right now for New Adult paranormal stories and this book fills that gap quite nicely for me.  The only problem now is that I want more.  I’m desperate for a sequel as there’s a lot of material to expand on here and I need to know what happens next.  This could potentially just be the beginning for Rick and Natalie and that my friends, is music to my ears.

Demon at my Door was published on 12th February, 2013.   To find out more about Michelle and her books, please click here.

5 comments:

  1. Haven't heard of this, or the author, but sounds really cool! Will have to keep my eyes out for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really good, it's a shame about the editing issues but it does sound right up me street. Fab review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I do happen to know that those editing issues are going to be fixed so go get it!

      Delete
  3. The editing issues really didn't bother me with this one - Rick outshone them.
    I want more Rick even with that damn snake tattoo

    ReplyDelete