Monday 7 January 2013

Letterbox Love (#35)



As always, Letterbox Love is a weekly feature that I'm hosting on the blog and basically, the idea came out of a discussion with other UK book bloggers about the need to do a weekly meme with more of a British feel to it. Therefore, Letterbox Love was born and the logo was lovingly designed by Dark Readers. Letterbox Love is a way for us to share the books that come through our letterbox, galleys and e books (through our electronic letterbox) and any other bookish goodies that we want to tell you about. Letterbox Love is intended to showcase upcoming books and build up some excitement for them as well as let you know what is available out there. It is not about competing with other bloggers or boasting of any kind (c'mon, we're British and we don't do drama!)

Review Books

 
Dead Romantic by C.J. Skuse
I love C.J. both as a writer and as an exceptionally funny, witty human being who never fails to make me laugh and so I'm ecstatic to receive a copy of her latest book which comes out next month.  I love the fact that it reminds me of an eighties movie called "Weird Science" only this time it's the girls who create the perfect guy.  Looking forward to reading this one. 

Dance of Shadows by Yelena Black
This is one of the most beautiful covers I've seen in a while and I'm intrigued to read a story about a ballet dancer.  It reminds me a little of the movie "Black Swan". 
 
 Professor Gargoyle: Tales from Lovecraft Middle School #1 by Charles Gilman (Unsolicited)
The Slither Sisters: Tales from Lovecraft Middle School #2 by Charles Gilman  (Unsolicited)
You can't tell from the photograph but these hardback books have a holographic cover that changes when you tip it towards the light.  They are pretty cool although as they are middle grade, I'm really not sure if I will read them or not.   

Thank You Publishers!!!


Books on Loan


Thanks to the very lovely Bookangel Emma who is as big a fan as I am of Jessica Shirvington's Embrace series, she has loaned me the next two books in the series which aren't even out in the UK or the US yet.  These are Australian copies and I think PROVES how obsessed we are and how desperate we are to read the next books! LOL.

Books Bought

The only books I've bought this week are Julie Kagawa books for my mum to take on holiday (she's become a huge fan of The Iron Fey series and I quote "I love that Ash character") and I also got her The Immortal Rules.  I bought my dad a couple of detective mystery books and I got myself a book on the human body (like I don't have a million of those, I know) but it is a visual guide and a Dorling Kindersley book so I know it's going to be good. 

EBooks

Crushed by Dawn Rae Miller
I have actually already read and reviewed this here but I wanted my very own official copy and it was only 77p which quite frankly is a BARGAIN. 

Crewel by Gennifer Albin
This is another book that I already own in the form of a hardback and a paperback (which I've passed on to my sister now) but this was in the kindle sale and only 99p. 

Cruisin' by Sarah Mylnowski
This is a short story from the same author that brought us Gimme a Call and Ten Things We Shouldn't have Done.  

Radiant by Cynthia Hand
This is a short novella set inside the world of Unearthly - a series I STILL have yet to read.  

A Beautiful Lie by Tara Sivec
I can't wait to read this New Adult novel which sounds fabulous.  If you've not heard of it and you enjoy reading books in this genre, go look it up right now. 

How to Save a Life by Sara Zarr
I believe I have a paperback of this on the shelves but it was in the kindle sale and sometimes I prefer to read on my iPad. I've heard nothing but good things about the book.


Laced in Malice by Riley Gray (Free)
This is a book for the older Young Adult market and was free at the time of purchase. It sounds interesting and one reviewer said it reminded her of Cruel Intentions, Mean Girls, Heathers etc and if that many awesome movies get quoted, then it must be a good read.

All Over You by Emily Snow
This is the sequel to Devoured which I LOVED (I'm a little behind with my reviews but look out for this one!).  This is a New Adult series featuring a rockstar and the girl who broke his heart. Can't wait to see what happens next!

Consequences by Aleathea Romig
This book reminds me of Taken by Kelli Maine (minus the tropical island) and I'm intrigued as to the psychology behind the characters behaviour and I think it will be a good story. 

Believe It or Not by Tawna Fenske
After raving about Wallbanger by Alice Clayton, another blogger on Twitter recommended this author who writes in a similar style to Alice.  I thought I would give this book a go and see what i think. 

Ten Tiny Breaths by K. A. Tucker
I've heard nothing but good things about this and to be honest, that's the main reason I bought it, besides the synopsis of course.  

Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes
I LOVE THIS BOOK - enough to write in all caps so that's gotta mean something! I have a hardback of it but I wanted a digital version for my iPad. 

Fight With Me by Kristen Proby
This is the sequel to Come Away With Me (review is coming) and although I had some mixed feelings about the first book, I still want to read the rest of the story!

The Valentine's Arrangement by Kelsie Leverich
I've heard so much about how good this book is and  it sounds awesome.  A military town, hot soldiers and an edgy female tattoo artist who doesn't believe in love.  I can imagine the fireworks already and I can't wait to read it. 

The Kiss Off by Sarah Billington (Free)
This is a Young Adult novel aimed at the older side of the audience and sounds like it might be a good read.  

I'm still reading Warm Bodies at the moment and in fact, I've really slowed down lately as life has taken over.  I'm even considering taking a break from blogging or at the very least slowing things down a little.  It's been nice not to feel the pressure as much for the past week or so, I have to admit.  Anyway, I hope you all had a great week for books and on my next day off, I promise to look into how to get the Mr Linky thing to work on these posts so you can link up properly.  In the meantime, feel free to leave your links/comment.

4 comments:

  1. Great selection! I was being sent a copy of Dead Romantic a month ago, I think it got lost in the post :(
    Happy reading

    My Letterbox this week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I hope you get a chance to read it! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  2. Dance of Shadows does have a beautiful cover. I've seen a couple of people getting the Lovecraft Middle School books, but MG isn't really my thing.
    My Letterbox Love post is here.

    ~Ailsa

    ReplyDelete