Wednesday 12 December 2012

Avow Review


Scarlet remembers. Everything. Her past lives, Tristan, Gabriel, Nate: she remembers it all--including how to get to the Fountain of Youth. But time is running out.

Heather and Gabriel have been kidnapped by Raven, while the curse that has plagued Scarlet and Tristan for centuries has shifted, putting the star-crossed lovers in more danger than ever before. Water from the Fountain of Youth is the only thing that can save Scarlet and her loved ones. But the water comes at a price.

With lives--and hearts--at stake, Scarlet leads her friends on a dangerous journey to the Fountain of Youth. Where eternal life is possible, but death is certain.

I’ll be honest, I don’t even know how to start this review.  I’m a huge fan of Chelsea’s writing and this series especially which is sadly coming to an end as Avow is the last book in the series.  Normally, that would make reading a bittersweet experience but there had to be a resolution, some kind of ending for Tristan, Scarlet and Gabriel who have been suffering with the curse for the past 500 years,  God love them.  This review is sort of a love letter to The Archers of Avalon series as I’ve loved every minute of reading the books.  Anew was one of the first books that really left me speechless and incoherent after reading.  I just totally GOT the story, it was like it had been written just for me.  And who doesn’t love two hot brothers in love with the same girl?!   I should stop here and say that if you haven’t read Anew (review here) and Awry (review here) then WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? GO GET THEM and also please don’t go any further or you will encounter spoilers.

You may remember the awesome ending of Awry and how Scarlet’s memories came flooding back to her, the way the curse had reversed between her and Tristan so now she was feeling HIS feelings and Tristan was finally no longer in pain.  Raven has kidnapped Heather and Gabe and you may also recall that Scarlet KNOWS where the fountain is, the very thing they’ve been searching for, for centuries, the answer to their prayers or so they believe but Scarlet is hiding something.  Apparently everything comes with a price.

In Awry, the past and the present were interlaced through alternating chapters and Chelsea took us right back to the beginning so we could learn how Scarlet became engaged to Gabriel and why Tristan is so in love with her.  And don’t forget about THAT tattoo.  I don’t think I can ever forget about THAT tattoo ;)   In Avow, we’re treated to another history lesson that shows us what happened in Scarlet’s past lives from the time she first died up until now.  We learn how they discovered about the curse, how they met Nathan and how Scarlet knows where the fountain is.  Chapter four lulls you into a hypnotic state and it’s like “Annnnnnnd.....sleep” whilst we slip into a series of flashbacks and then by Chapter 32 it’s like “3,2,1.....you’re back in the room”.

I’m going to have to be really careful with what I give away about the plot here as there is no way in hell that I’m spoiling it for you but in Avow, Team Awesome are BACK and ready to do battle.  What I will say though is that they’re going to have to kick some ashmen ass along the way, everything you’ve ever wanted to know is explained and the ending makes sense.

I don’t think there are words to show my love for Tristan and how much I adore his love for Scarlet which is literally beyond words.   Tristan is like the ultimate fictional boyfriend who would die to protect you and suffer so that you can live.  And I think you’ll be happy to know that there are plenty of shirtless scenes in the book ;) Besides Tristan though, I think my favourite character has to be Heather and here I go again professing my adoration for her. She is the only character that makes me literally laugh out loud and I appreciate her comedic timing given the tension between other characters which is ever present. I’d love to see a Heather Chronicles spin off of some kind which I’d totally get behind and I am DELIGHTED (and by delighted, I mean more excited than Heather running riot in a shoe store) to exclusively reveal to you...THAT THERE WILL BE A HEATHER AND GABE SPIN OFF!!!!!! HOORAH!!!!!!!!!!! I can’t wait for that one as I know it’s going to be hilarious.  I’m already designing some kind of Heather fan club t shirt in my head LOL.

Avow is a wonderful end to a beautiful series but I’m still hoping that it’s not quite the end.  I devoured the book in one sitting and I loved every minute of it.  Now, please excuse me whilst I clean up the melted version of me that is now a puddle on the floor.  

Avow is published on 11th December, 2012.  To find out more about Chelsea Fine and her books, please click here to visit her website.

1 comment:

  1. I loved this entire series as well! Great review--I think you show just how much you love the series/book without giving anything away to the potential reader. Chelsea Fine is my hero. Thanks for posting this review!

    ReplyDelete