Saturday 28 July 2012

Such a Rush Review


 “A sexy and poignant romantic tale of a young daredevil pilot caught between two brothers.

High school senior Leah Jones loves nothing more than flying. While she’s in the air, it’s easy to forget life with her absentee mother at the low-rent end of a South Carolina beach town. When her flight instructor, Mr. Hall, hires her to fly for his banner advertising business, she sees it as her ticket out of the trailer park. And when he dies suddenly, she’s afraid her flying career is gone forever.    

But Mr. Hall’s teenage sons, golden boy Alec and adrenaline junkie Grayson, are determined to keep the banner planes flying. Though Leah has crushed on Grayson for years, she’s leery of getting involved in what now seems like a doomed business — until Grayson betrays her by digging up her most damning secret. Holding it over her head, he forces her to fly for secret reasons of his own, reasons involving Alec. Now Leah finds herself drawn into a battle between brothers — and the consequences could be deadly.”

I could just start and finish this post with the words “It’s Jennifer Echols.  Need I say more?!”, but that wouldn’t make for a very interesting review.  Basically, I adore her books and will pre-order anything she writes.  When I found out that Such a Rush was going to be her first hardback?  I may have squeed with excitement but I cannot of course confirm that.   If you know me at all, you know that I love romances involving brothers and so Such a Rush was PERFECT for me.

Our main protagonist Leah is a diamond in the rough.  She’s had a shit life so far, growing up with a deadbeat mother on a trailer park in the middle of nowheresville.  The only consolation? It’s close to a regional airport and whilst others hear the noise and nuisance of overhead aircraft, Leah sees only a thing of beauty.  She ends up working part time at the airport but secretly she longs to fly.  She makes a deal with Mr. Hall who runs a banner flying business and he agrees to teach her to fly if she quits smoking.  I think that’s a pretty sweet deal personally.  Mr. Hall has two sons (Grayson and Alec) who aren’t in his life that much but they visit occasionally.  Leah has had a crush on Grayson for years and has had to watch him from afar but when Mr. Hall dies unexpectedly, and the boys swoop in and take over, suddenly he’s not close enough.

I really enjoyed the story and the fact that it was centred around airplanes and flying.  I admired Leah for being true to herself but also trying to make something of her life.   Grayson was a nice romantic lead although I have to admit that he was a bit of an idiot at times and I wanted to slap him.  I mean, he bribes Leah into going out with his brother but he wouldn’t tell her his reasons for doing so, all the while having a crush on her himself.  He also continued to press her about something repeatedly although Leah explained and explained and explained.  We do find out the reasons behind his behaviour but at the time, he pressed my frustration buttons a bit and if I were Leah, I might have walked away (or at least pretend to storm off and secretly hope he will come after me).

I don’t think you can NOT enjoy a Jennifer Echols book and I did enjoy this one immensely.  With lots of tension, lots of chemistry and lots of swoonworthy moments, this is a book to put on your reading list.

Such a Rush was published on 10th July, 2012.  To find out more about Jennifer and her books, please click here.  She is also active on Facebook and Twitter.   And just in case you haven’t seen the back cover yet, you may just notice a certain blog being quoted there *coughs* which I’m ECSTATIC BEYOND WORDS about.   It is a bloody good quote and one which I wholeheartedly stand by.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you... I love Jennifer Echols books!!! I bought this one just because it's Jennifer Echols lol.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Damaris, I can't get enough of her books!!

      Delete