Sunday 20 May 2012

Letterbox Love (#3)

Letterbox Love is a new weekly feature that I'm hosting on the blog and basically, the idea came out of a discussion with other UK book bloggers about the need to do a weekly meme with more of a British feel to it.  Therefore, Letterbox Love was born and the logo was lovingly designed by Dark Readers.  Letterbox Love is a way for us to share the books that come through our letterbox, galleys and e books (through our electronic letterbox - see what I did there?!) and any other bookish goodies that we want to tell you about.  Letterbox Love is intended to showcase upcoming books and build up some excitement for them as well as let you know what is available out there.  It is not about competing with other bloggers or boasting of any kind (c'mon, we're British and we don't do drama!)

So, without further a do, here's what I got this week...



Review Books

City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare
This is a review book and finished UK copy which came the same week as my finished hardback that I'd pre ordered MONTHS ago (see below)

The Girl Who Could Silence The Wind by Meg Medina
I've seen US bloggers talk about this book and the US copy has a beautiful cover (as does the UK cover).  I had no idea that Walker were publishing this so it comes as a nice surprise!

Shift by Kim Curran
One of the debut books from Angry Robot publishers and as a time travel fan, I'm really curious about this one (OK, it's not technically time travel but still!)

Fire City by Bali Rai
This book looks interesting as I love a good dystopian.

Dissing You Already: Young, Loaded & Fabulous by Kate Kingsley
This one was a surprise as I've not heard anything about it. 

Emma Hearts LA by Keris Stainton
Whilst I have all of Keris' books, I have to admit that I've not read them yet but I love Keris online so I'm definitely going to read this :) 



Review Books

Blackwood by Gwenda Bond
One of the first books from Angry Robot and I'm excited to sample what they have to offer!

The Selection by Kiera Cass 
This is a review copy.  You will note that I already have a hardback of The Selection which was pre ordered some months ago.  The UK release date is always behind.  In this case, I will pass the book on to my sister.

The Third Day, The Frost (Book Three of The Tomorrow Series)
This is another series I have not read and so this is one for the library unless another book blogger desperately wants it and has of course read the rest of the series. 

The Circle by Sara. B. Elfgren and Mats Strandberg
This is a curious little book that originates from Sweden if I'm not mistaken.  I'm definitely intrigued but I'm frightened that it sounds too much like The Secret Circle.  I'll let you know!

The Spook's Blood (Book Ten) by Joseph Delaney
I have never read any of this series and so this is one for the library unless another book blogger desperately wants it and has of course read the rest of the series.



Review Books

Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers
I absolutely LOVE when publishers send you something special, and I'm not just talking about the book.  It was a nice surprise to receive a couple of postcards and a small bottle of Port labelled "Poison".  If you don't hear anymore from me, then I'll guess we know what was REALLY in the bottle ;)  Also, just so you know - Books + Alcohol = WIN!

Thank you so much to all the publishers!



Books Bought

City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare
As mentioned above, this is my US hardback to go with the rest of the collection.  I'm holding off reading it at the moment as I want to re-read City of Fallen Angels which I forgot to review at the time (doh!)

Hemlock by Kathleen Peacock
I actually have the UK copy of this entitled Deadly Hemlock and had forgotten that I'd pre ordered the US hardback months ago.

Struck by Jennifer Bosworth
I can't believe I still haven't read this yet.  I just wanted the hardback so I hope it's good!


E-Books
The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa (Bought)
I've already got a finished hardback of this but I saw that the kindle version was only 99p so I snapped it up!


Fever by Dee Shulman (Bought)
I saw this book mentioned on my friend Sarah's blog Feeling Fictional and as a huge time travel fan, I knew I had to give it a go!

Immersed in Pleasure by Tiffany Reisz (Bought)
I got this recommendation from Pam over at Bookalicious who said it was better written than Fifty Shades of Grey so I thought I would investigate ;)

Breathkept by Saundra Mitchell (Bought)
I heard twitter mutterings about this and whilst I still haven't read her books (although I have them) this was cheap so I bought it. 


Writing for Love by Chrissie Manby (Bought) 
Another recommendation from Twitter, this is a how to book but I'll take any advice I can get!

Hollowland (The Hollows #1) by Amanda Hocking (Free)
I downloaded this as I know at some point Amazon will take it down and start charging for it.  I like Amanda Hocking's books so far so I thought I'd give this one a go.


Sorry this post is a bit late in the day but I'm getting over Gastroenteritis and as such, I've had a busy day catching up with all things life like laundry, food shopping, washing dishes, you know....the exciting stuff.  I do hope you'll leave me a comment with a link so I can check out your Letterbox Love posts.  Hope you all had a good week! :)

11 comments:

  1. The Tomorrow series is soooooo awesome! I've only read book one, and, unfortunately, my library doesn't have it. :( I'm going to have to procure copies at some point. You should totally read them!

    Or, you know, not. Lol.

    Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Mortal Instrument series ^________^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you got a lot of books this week! Hope you feel better soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know Hollowland was free on Amazon??

    I love the way you refer to The Circle as little!!! Did you not see how thick it was?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great books. I'm intrigued by The Circle, you must let me know what it's like. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great little haul there.

    Especially like the touch of a wee bottle of port. As for your alcohol plus books equation, you're a lady after my own heart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You got...awesomeness. I've flicked through Shift and really liked it. I love the look of the port- even if I am ridiculously underage. Struck is very good. And so is The Immortal Rules. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, so many books this week! There's a lot that you've got on my to-read list. Hope you enjoy them all!

    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!! So many books, and so many good ones, you really must read Emma (and Keris' other books) soon, she'd so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow, you have a copy of the Spook's Blood huh? I can't even begin to tell you how jealous I am right now. :O Everything else looks interesting as well, but the Spooks books is an amazing series, and well worth a read....Can't wait to get my hands on a copy like that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent selection! I'm interested that you won't read a series out of order - since a child I've found this a necessity in terms of access to books from the library!
    I hope you're now fully recovered.
    My post is here
    I'm planning to set up a page on Letterbox Love by next weekend at the latest...real life and all that!

    ReplyDelete