Thursday 13 October 2011

City of Ashes Review

City of Ashes is of course the sequel to City of Bones and book two in The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare. Let me just say that it you haven’t read City of Bones, then I cannot recommend strongly enough that you read it before you check out this review as there be some spoilers for the first book in amongst it all. You could always check out my review for City of Bones in the meantime, if you like which is here. For everyone else, let’s continue.

If you’ve read my review of City of Bones you will by now of course be under no illusion as to how hard I have fallen for this series. And what do you think I did the minute I finished reading the first book? Yep, I dived straight into the sequel. I have nicknamed City of Ashes the “everyone goes through the mill” book because well...everyone does! Clary and Jace are struggling with their feelings for each other in light of what they now know, Alec is struggling with the fact that he thinks no one knows about his sexuality and is scared about how they will react, Isobel is just Isobel and Simon? OMG Simon has the roughest time out of everyone in this book and if you haven’t read it yet, then you’ll see what I mean when you do. Here’s the synopsis:

“As readers of series starter City of Bones already know, teenager Clary Fray is a Shadowhunter, a demon slayer who has the gift of sight and can spot Downworlder werewolves, vampires, and faeries. She is also an adolescent in an abnormally dysfunctional family: Her mom is in a magically induced coma and her father is probably insane and undoubtedly evil. All of which places Clary in situations that would challenge even the most talented average American girl.”

I have to start by saying that it’s nice to have all the original characters back, including the silent brothers (who I admit, I have a little soft spot for) but I also like being introduced to new characters too such as the inquisitor, for example. I liked that Magnus Bane had a bigger role in this book and I think I have a soft spot for him too. I don’t mean romantically of course, but I like his character. I heard from another blogger recently that they pictured Thomas Dekker in this role and I have to admit that I can totally see that (and I have a MASSIVE crush on Thomas FYI).

There is some major demon butt kicking in City of Ashes and Jace? Well, if he wasn’t fearless already, he certainly is in this book ;) There are some startling revelations about Jace and Clary respectively which can certainly only make them stronger - abilities that have never been tested, fears that have never been confronted, and transformations of the shocking variety. By the angel this book HAS IT ALL!

For those of you that have already read City of Ashes, I’m sure it won’t surprise you to hear that the Seelie Court chapter was one of my favourites ;) And I especially liked the extra content from Cassandra (which you can find online) which is basically the same scene but told from Jace’s point of view *swoon*. I definitely recommend you look that up on her website as soon as you’re done reading the book.

City of Ashes is a worthy sequel and yet another fantastic book from Cassandra Clare. I have to say that this book is just as good as the first one and I am literally lapping up this series. I can’t wait to read what happens next but equally, I don’t want it all to end. Thankfully, there are plenty more books in the series to be carrying on with. PHEW! ONWARDS then, to City of Glass.

City of Ashes was published on 25th March, 2008. TO find out more about Cassandra Clare and her books, please click here to visit her website. She is also active on Facebook and Twitter. Again, there is no official book trailer but I found a fan made one that I quite liked and here it is:

No comments:

Post a Comment