Wednesday 8 June 2011

Waiting on Wednesday

"Waiting On Wednesday" is a weekly event, originally started by Jill at Breaking the Spine , that highlights upcoming book releases everyone is waiting on...hence the title. This week's pick is surprisingly, an adult book called Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. Here is the description from Goodreads:

"The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des RĂªves, and it is only open at night.

But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway—a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them, this is a game in which only one can be left standing, and the circus is but the stage for a remarkable battle of imagination and will. Despite themselves, however, Celia and Marco tumble headfirst into love—a deep, magical love that makes the lights flicker and the room grow warm whenever they so much as brush hands.

True love or not, the game must play out, and the fates of everyone involved, from the cast of extraordinary circus per­formers to the patrons, hang in the balance, suspended as precariously as the daring acrobats overhead
."

So I'm not sure if it's because I recently saw Water for Elephants and have become fascinated with the circus (I'm already fascinated with Robert Pattinson....Yum) or whether it's because I loved films like The Prestige and The Illusionist but I'm really interested to read this book! Not only does it sound like a cracking good story, but it has romance too. PERFECT.

Now I'm going to tell you how I supidly let this book slip right through my fingers. As it turns out, advance copies of Night Circus were being given out at BEA and at the time, I had no idea what the book was about. Wary of weight (there's only so many books you can carry onto an airplane) and not wanting to pick up a book I wasn't interested in, therefore leaving it for someone who REALLY wants it, I walked right past it and now I am KICKING MYSELF for not picking up a copy. By the time I realised, thanks to some random guy I met in a queue who told me about it, all copies were gone. I then decided to try my luck at The Strand as they sometimes have books on the shelves earlier than their release date, but no luck. So now I shall just have to wait for release date like the rest of the world, which really isn't a bad thing considering just how many books I DID bring back from BEA to add to my ever growing TBR pile.

Night Circus is released on 13th September, 2011

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a great book. I must check it out Thanks x

    ReplyDelete