Monday 17 May 2010

In My Mailbox

"In My Mailbox" was started by Kristi over at The Story Siren. Every Sunday, I will let you know what books I've picked up in the week! It is currently 4am as I'm posting this so I will ask you to please forgive me for any errors!

First up is a biggie. I was very fortunate (and very, very excited) to receive an exclusive ARC of Torment by Lauren Kate. This is the follow up novel to Fallen. Thank you so much to the girls at Random House who gave this to me. I'm really looking forward to reading this one but I won't be posting a review for a while I'm afraid.






I've just received 13 To Life by the awesome Shannon Delany for review as part of an ARC tour. I'm so grateful for ARC tours, especially as I live in the UK and are somewhat disadvantaged at times for receiving ARC's. As an honourary wolf girl, I've wanted to read this for a long time now so I'm absolutely delighted to have it in my hands at last :)






Mistwood by Leah Cypess is a book I keep hearing great things about and so I had to get this one. As with most books I want, I had to order online and I can tell you that the cover is so much more gorgeous in real life than it is on the screen.







Another book I was interested in reading is Birth Marked by Caragh M O'Brien. I thought the cover and the blurb was really interesting.









I have to confess that I must be the last person in the Western civilized world to read the Wicked Lovely series by Melissa Marr. The funny thing is, I definitely want to and I have all the books. I had to add to the collection and so I bought Radiant Shadows which is her latest book. It was the last one on the shelf and so I knew it had to be mine. Melissa has been working on a more adult book called Graveminder which has me totally intrigued but we don't know a lot about it yet.




I've fallen in love with Jennifer Lauren's books after reading Heavenly and Penitence, so I decided to look at her back catalogue. Falling for Romeo sounded really good so I started looking for it. The 2009 version was really hard to track down but thanks to Jennifer, I got it :)



I think the UK covers for Aprillynne Pyke books are gorgeous. I bought Wings a long time ago and I'm so ashamed to say that I've not yet read it. But I also knew that I had to get Spells and I'm going to make a concerted effort to start reading the books at the beginning of my TBR pile.







I've read another book by Sarah Addison Allen called The Sugar Queen and really enjoyed it so when I found this in a discounted book store, I knew I had to get it. Sarah's writing is more romance and I'd say perhaps even adult so I may not review it but I'll definitely read it for pleasure.







Another confession I'm afraid. I've never read anything by Neil Gaiman (and he is British I believe). I saw Stardust the movie and LOVED it so I have high hopes. Besides, everyone is always talking about how amazing he is so here's hoping he doesn't disappoint.







I just recently gave away a signed copy of The Dead Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan away on the blog because I wanted to get the hardback copy for myself (to go with the hardback of The Forest of Hands and Teeth). I still haven't read either of them but I fancy it soon as a change from other paranormal stories. Again, I've heard good things about the books and I LOVE the UK covers.





I've been wanting to read Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher for a long time now but never seem to pick up the book and take it to the till. Well, now I have and I'm looking forward to reading this one as it's gritty and real.








I keep hearing things about Laurie Halse Anderson's writing but I have not yet experienced it for myself. Speak was recommended to me by Cat Clarke (Entangled, Jan 2011) and so I'm going to give it a whirl and see what I think. Apparently I will not be dissapointed.

I also just found out from another blog that this was made into a movie starring Kristen Stewart. How did I NOT know this?! I'm totally looking this up once I've read and reviewed the book.



I'd looked at Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin a long time ago now but again, never picked it up. Cat recommended this one highly too so I decided to get it.








I've seen Patrick Ness' books on the shelves for a while now and sometimes I've even picked them up to look at the blurb. I was never quite sure if I would like them or not but the ladies at the bloggers meet yesterday told me I HAD to get them as they are amazing and this was a signed copy so how could I not?!






The Ask and The Answer is the sequel to the above mentioned book by Patrick Ness. Again, it was signed so I bought it :)









I'd not heard of Soulless by Christopher Golden before but I read the blurb and was immediately intrigued so I bought it. I'm looking forward to reading this one!








From one Nora Roberts fan to another, this was recommended to me and it's one I haven't read so I ordered it online. I was disappointed not to receive THIS cover though, especially as that was the cover that was advertised. It's not the first time a particular online seller has done this to me and I will be taking it up with them.






Someone told me that Sarah Zarr's writing was amazing and so I needed no other prompt for me to buy this book. I also love the cover and the title. I'm a hopeless romantic, what can I say ;)








I'd heard a little bit about Dido by Adele Geras and when I read the blurb, I was intrigued so I bought a hardback copy of it. I later found a paperback for half the price but I prefer hardback's so I don't mind really.








The Wish List by Gabi Stevens is a book I saw recommended on another blog (sorry, I forget who) and it sounded really good so I thought I would get myself a copy :)








Savour the Moment is part of "The Bride Quartet" - a collection of four books by Nora Roberts. Each book concentrates on one character out of the four women that run a successful wedding planning business. This is an adult book in the romance genre and so whilst I love reading Nora Roberts, I am unlikely to review on here as it doesn't fit in with the blog. This one is for pleasure only (and there's nothing wrong with that) ;)





I've heard a lot of people say that The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson is an amazing book so I had to get this one. I liked the cover on the hardback so that's the one I bought.








Impossible by Nancy Werlin is a book that I received on an ARC tour so this is the book I'll be reading and reviewing next.

11 comments:

  1. I'm glad Impossible got to you safely, I'll be interested to see what you think of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow ! That's an IMM with plenty cool books ;-)
    I loved Speak and The Graveyard Book!
    13 To Life looks great !
    It was so lovely to meet you Saturday!
    Have a good week !

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have an impressive haul! I drooled a little.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for Torment! The Graveyard Book is awesome, I absolutely adored it so hope you like it too! Lovely to meet you on Saturday! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read 13 Reasons Why, the Forest of Hands and Teeth and listened to The Graveyard Book (narrated by NG - brilliantly) and they where all A grade reads for me. I'll be adding some to my wish list from your excellent haul.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow so many great books. 13 to Life sounds great I'll have to look out for that one. The Graveyard book is fabulous (I love the UK cover, I may have to get it). The Sky is Everywhere is a gorgeous book, enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. That is a lot of great books there. The Sky Is Everywhere IS amazing. You really must read Neil Gaiman, right away. Sweethearts DOES ahve a great cover, I think I'm going to add that to my wishlist just based on that! EEEEEP, the Chaos Walking trilogy are some of the BEST YA books around! I wish I could read them again as if I was reading them for the first time! I recently read Thirteen Reasons Why.

    Happy reading to you, where to start? My god. Also, where did you sign up for the Impossible ARC tour? (it's probably closed, but I thought I'd ask anyway))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look at them all. Isn't it exciting to get home and look at all your purchases and know you are going to get a lot out of them. This is why buying books should always take priority over clothes.

    I need to know if Falling for Romeo is any good. I'll be waiting for your review. And I am very keen to hear you go fan girly over Chaos Walking! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you guys for all your comments, they mean a lot! :) There are a few book/arc tours by International Book Tours or PrincessBookie runs ARC tours too. Google them!

    Becky - books over clothes ANY day :) Will let you know about Falling for Romeo ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lynsey it was lovely to meet you on Saturday!! I had so much fun chatting about books with everyone but I have added far too many books to my wishlist LOL. Thanks again for lending me Linger, I just finished Forget You (it's fab you'll love it!) so Linger is up next - can't wait :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you had a great mailbox this week, super jealous of the Torment steal lol, hope you enjoy it I can't wait till it comes out to read!

    ReplyDelete